Thursday, January 19, 2012

You don't like Sauerkraut?

Today was round 2 of Survival Dutch and I have to say it was a bit better. Today we learned counting, days of the week, and how to tell time. After Survival Dutch, we were pretty much free for the rest of the day until about 5pm when we had speed dating with our Dutch buddies. Even though most of them had gone out with us earlier in the week, it was fun to ask them some random questions and eat a stroep waffle. :) After that our host families joined us for a strumpel buffet with all the SPICE participants, buddies, and coordinators of the program. What is strumpel? It is a strange mix of mashed potatoes and various veggies-- one dish had mashed potatoes and carrots and onions, one with sauerkraut, and one with cabbage. We also had wurst, meatball, and "bacon," and various side veggies. I have to admit the cabbage one was not my favorite, but the other two were actually pretty good. My host family says that sauerkraut is their worst nightmare, but I grew up eating wurst, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut and love it. I guess I don't quite completely fit in with them just yet. Maybe I can be the one to win them over to sauerkraut. :)

It seemed like a lot more happened today, but really, now I am just chilling watching a movie and sipping tea with LaRae... a pretty chill night in our household, but it was a goed dag. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment