Monday, January 23, 2012

Sunday Funday!

9:30am-- Breakfast with the family. 10:35am-- walk to church (in the rain, or course) with the family. 11:00am-- church in a completely foreign language. Yes, we have an English Bible. Yes, we have a translation of the sermon. Yes, our host Dad fills us in on what is going on in church, but it's just really not the same. I'm sitting there trying to follow the sermon, but I'm also trying to learn Dutch as I go, resulting in a very frustrated and tired brain. I'm closing my eyes during prayer, but all I can think about is hearing the "Amen" so I open my eyes with the rest of the congregation and don't look like I've fallen asleep. I'm seeing these 3 beautiful babies get baptized but I have no idea what the pastor is saying besides, "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

Part of the journey of SPICE is challenging ourselves to be submerged in a completely different culture and learn and grow from them. If I don't understand 90% of what these people are saying, how am I supposed to grow? You take what you have been given and roll with the punches. You ask questions. You appreciate the fact that you can be in a country that allows you to worship freely with others. You recognize that not everything in life is going to be easy as pie and you go with it and make the most of it. I'm not going to lie; it's a bit of a struggle mustering up the same excitement to go to a church when I know only 3 people and about 5 words. Jennifer, get over yourself. How selfish of me to think that I'm not getting anything out of a time of worship on the Lord's Day. I am so lucky to be able to study in a different country and to live with a family that comes from the same religious background as I do. Imagine how much more difficult it would be if my "Sunday fellowship" was with nonbelievers or Buddhists?

We got home from church and had coffee and cookies with the family, made a sandwich, then took a nap. After our nap, we had soup and bread and potato salad for dinner (just like home). Then we had little mini pancakes (they have a name for these like pulfergees or something like that), followed by ice cream-- my sweet tooth was more than satisfied. Then our two host brothers that live in Zwolle came over for coffee and family time. It was so fun. Seriously, this family is giving my own a run for their money. We looked for our farm on the map, but only found the "village" of Orovada and so I showed them some pictures on facebook. We then spent the next hour or so looking at pictures, telling stories, drinking coffee, and eating more sweets. We also learned a joke in Dutch, but that is something I will have to impress you all with in person. Believe me, you will not be disappointed: if it's not funny, at least be impressed by the fact that I can tell a joke adequately in Dutch.

All in all, it was a great Sunday, regardless of the rain and language barrier. That's something that's going to take adjusting and time, but that's alright with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment