Thursday, January 26, 2012

No pain, no gain.

When I woke up this morning the last thing I thought was that I'd be spending 7 hours of my day to book ONE train ticket. Good thing only one of our 3 professors showed up for classes today because it gave us plenty of time to discuss our weekend plans. So-- Germany it was: we found train tickets and found an apartment for about 30 euros total per person for 2 nights... sounds sweet, right?

Well, the website to book train tickets was being really selective about everything-- who got to buy tickets, when they got to buy them, and what price they paid. We all expected to pay about 72 euros for a round-trip ticket, but some how one of our travelers got one for 66 (and I booked it for him! I'm such a good Samaritan). Then we got a few others tickets, but for some reason Karl and I could not get tickets... for 7 hours. We literally spent 5 hours straight trying to book tickets and could not get them. We tried everything-- different computers, different credit cards, different websites, even tried to get people in America to help! We tried to call on the phone, but no one would answer and there was a long wait to talk to a rep! Then, at rocket speed, we biked to the train station to try and buy tickets there, only to find out they don't sell international tickets there... yay. So we biked back to my house, ate dinner, talked about the crappy service, and then attempted again. Total  it took about 12 people, 9 computers, 7 hours, 40 minutes on the phone, and a very stern and stubborn Friesan to get it all done. Finally, Karl and I had booked train tickets to get to Germany. What a day... and now I have successfully shoved a weekend's worth of clothes, makeup, passport, camera, and money in my backpack and tomorrow we leave for Germany! Pray for us: we will need it!

Taking the advice I posted earlier: packing 1/2 the clothes I intended to and twice the money.

PS-- this is it for the weekend. No internet in Germany for me! Dag!

No comments:

Post a Comment