Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tour-Guide Jennifer

Normally on Tuesdays I have a very full day of classes. This Tuesday, however, was very full of other activities, very time-worthy activities, mind you. Tour-guide Jennifer took Elizabeth and Nathan on a tour de Amsterdam! We had a very full day ahead of us, especially since we decided to walk the entire day. So, at 9:11am we departed Zwolle, landing us in Amsterdam shortly before 11am. From there, we walked to this new public library that has multiple stories, each serving a different purpose, including a restaurant level. It was a beautiful library, but we were ready to see some old buildings and one very special museum. So, onward we walked.

We walked through an older part of the city, putting us in one of the most popular parts of the city: the Red light District. I know I said I never needed to go back, and I never do again, but because it's such a huge part of the "Amsterdam experience," we had to show our Netherlands rookie. After our mini tour (which, by the way, I managed to find the exact street Kees had taken us down, impressive I know.), we went to grab a cup of coffee (also at the same place we went for coffee on our school excursion). After a cappuccino and very delicious piece of apple pie, I continued showing my tourist family through the city. I surprised myself by figuring out all the things to say and how to get there so quickly. I guess I remembered more than I thought; either that or Amsterdam is really not that difficult. We saw the Royal Palace, I Amsterdam sign, toured the Heineken brewery, and ended the day in Anne Frank's house. It was a great day with beautiful weather. I shall be back for sure!

What always happens on Tuesdays? The Joffer! This week was very special because we were joined by THREE of my favorite people. Karl's cousin who is currently living in Den Haag also came to visit-- a great night, again. It's  hard to imagine a less than enjoyable Tuesday (knock on wood).

Wednesday my sister and Nate wandered by themselves, and I went to my internship-- my first solo teaching experience here. The lesson was on a unit from Story Telling, and I chose to teach on descriptive story telling. How many of you know of the game "Telephone Pictionary" or the phone version "Dram something?" Well, I used that as my intro. While the kids loved the game, it did not go quite as planned, but in the end the understood the point: the more detail, the better. I then asked the kids why they thought details were so important in story-telling. Of course they don't know what description/detail is so we had to talk about that. I figured I'll just ask them what adjectives and adverbs are. They said they all knew, so I asked for a volunteer to tell me what it was... none. So I asked, "All of you know what an adjective is, but none of you can tell me?" Then, one of the girls raised her hand and said, "If you tell me what it is, I will remember." Nice try, seventh grade Dutchie, but I am a bit smarter than that. So instead, I told them what an adjective was and asked for examples-- success. Then I asked what an adverb was. After a few minutes of prying, an example, and a few simple hints, they got it right. We then moved on to using adjectives and adverbs in our own writing. I had all the students write about their dream vacation in 4-7 sentences, using as many adjectives and adverbs possible. The kids loved this activity, and it was so fun to hear about their travel dreams. One girl showed me a 3/4 page and I asked if she was done and she said, "yes, but I only have 3 sentences." Only 3 sentences?!? I said. She responded by saying, "Well, you said to use as many adjectives and adverbs as we could." I love these kids and their responses. After the lesson, the teacher asked me how I felt it went and then assured me that it went well, the kids enjoyed it, and he would love for me to return next Wednesday with another lesson. So, another lesson plan it is!
The rest of the afternoon I spent enjoying the beautiful sunshine-- laying out and going for a run.

Wednesday night we had a pannekoeken feast with all the SPICE participants, buddies, and host families. LEKKER! Probably the best Dutch food I've  had here.

Thursday was a full day at our internship in Groningen-- 4 lessons! I can't imagine what a full day of teaching my own class will be like, but if it's anything like this, I can't wait! Busy, busy, but the best job I could possibly ask for. Can you tell that I'm excited to teach? 

As you can see, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with my sister. I do have a life here outside of traveling, you know. So, Friday I joined them and my host parents for a tour of Northern Holland to see windmills, eat fish, and all that Dutch jazz. It was a great day, again with great weather. Elizabeth and Nate seriously lucked out-- 60plus weather, sunshine, and hardly any rain!

Saturday we did a mini boat tour in Giethorn and then traveled to Buitenpost for our Uncle's birthday. We traveled by train there and arrived just in time for soup, harring, bread, quiche, coffee, and orangekoek. After wishing everyone "Gefeliciteerd," we headed to Kubaard to prepare Elizabeth and Nate for their trip back to the US. On the way back, we had a little incident involve a Turk, a black car (now complete with a missing headlight), and a nice reminder from my aunt that "Tomorrow is Sunday!" so there would be no call to the insurance company.

A birthday phone call to my dad, change of the clocks, and a schlookie or two later, we headed to bed and brought my family to the airport bright and early. After my very short visit to Schipol for the first time since January I decided I really don't ever want to return there. Going back in May is going to be miserable! Already dreading it... but, I will think of that later, and for now, I will spend my weekends traveling or enjoying the sunny Dutch weather with bike rides, runs, and writing in the city center, or just soaking up the sun in the backyard with my host family.

Another great week with great company, but on to something new: Switzerland in 5 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment