Wednesday, March 14, 2012

2 months in and still winning

This week has been flying by. It's already Wednesday and tomorrow my sister arrives! It seems like the next 24 hours cannot go fast enough, yet I have SO much to do. Today marks the halfway point: 2 months in, 2 months left. Well, that's crazy. However, have no fear Europe: I will be back soon and very soon (if all goes as planned). 

What this week has contained thus far:
Monday-- 3 hours of Dutch class, learning how to make an appointment to buy a house. I'm sorry, but I really am never going to do that. Teach me how to make small talk further than "Ik komt uit de U.S." Teach me how to say I am on a diet and cannot have seconds. We did a little mini-evaluation and our teacher said something about noticing that I do not learn very well from books and more so from discussion. Truthful.Yes, I get frustrated when I don't understand people and they continue talking to me in Dutch, but really, that's how I'm going to learn. And if I'm going to return next spring, I really do need to learn more of the language-- can't pull the dumb American card forever. Lucky for me, I have found a new means of learning Dutch. Perhaps I will also be more willing to learn from my new teacher... perhaps.

After Dutch class, Katrina and I planned a rubric for our persecution project. I figured it would take at least 2 hours to complete, but because we are such a good team, we whipped up a very thorough rubric in about an hour. These stubborn, opinionated Dutch children will have no way of finding loop-holes through our rubric (or so I hope).  Monday night I was an only child at dinner-- just me and the host parentals. It was kinda nice to be an only child and get to know a bit more about them and their extended family. After dinner, I tried to motivate myself to do some homework, but... no success. It's so hard to be motivated here. Our professors hardly take classes seriously (ditching out on classes themselves, never checking homework, etc), so it's especially difficult for me to overcome the lack of motivation I have acquired overseas.

Tuesday we ventured to Rotterdam with the whole SPICE group, accompanied by LaRae's entire family. Upon our arrival, we rented some feits to explore the city on. As I first attempted to mount my bike, I realized that it was too tall for me (another reason I need a nice Dutch boy, so my children can be tall). Unfortunately, I (and Karl as well) couldn't figure out how to lower my seat, so I spent the first portion of the day walking my bike across streets and tip-toeing on my pedals. After giving my presentation on Piet Blom's cube houses in the city, Dan man-handled my bike seat and made it much easier for me to ride around the city, but my bike wasn't through with making my day incredibly uncomfortable; namely the seat now had a mind of its own and remained crooked for the rest of my travels around Rotterdam, resulting in a very sore tailbone by the end of the day. 
Summary of the rest of Rotterdam: boat tour through the harbor, biking (multiple times) up and down a bridge, delicious hot chocolate, and a tour of a Turkish Mosque by an Islam who converted from Protestant faith (how that happens, I have no idea). Long story short about the mosque: strange to see, glad I had the opportunity, but I never need to go back.

Last night we returned around 7:30pm and I had some dinner and then prepared for my favorite night of the week: another night at the Joffer. This week we had LaRae's sister and brother join us: Dykstra (times 3) = perfect. 

Today Katrina and I observed 2 classes at our school in Zwolle: one English and one biology. The biology teacher was in his first year of teaching, and it was interesting to see him demand things from his students most of his co-teachers didn't demand in their classroom. He pulled the whole, "Don't smile 'til after Christmas," thing we hear in America-- a concept we don't really see here very much, but we think that's because he's new and still trying to earn their respect. 
We also found out the brilliant student who only speaks English isn't brilliant in everything. He's actually struggling in his Dutch class. Because he grew up in Egypt and in bi-lingual schools, we assume he speaks English at home, and he is not fluent in Dutch. So that's why he speaks only English: got it. 

After my internship, Katrina gave me directions to Stadshagen, mainly via landmarks. Well, I am extremely directional challenged and realized the second she started throwing in round abouts, turns, and stop lights, I was royally doomed: over-shot my destination by about 15-20 minutes. I stopped and asked for directions and eventually found my way to Katie's house to watch the Bachelor finale. We enjoyed brownies, strawberries, and chocolate: the perfect afternoon for any girl. And since I spontaneously obtained an extra 35 minute bike ride work out (in addition to the hour bike ride I had anticipated for the whole day) I feel no guilt (and still believe I am going to win the biggest loser). 

Now I am home and ready to enjoy "a big ass hamburger" (in the words of my host brother) prepared by LaRae and her mom. 

Tomorrow my sister arrives, which means my internship is going to be EXTREMELY long, knowing that my sister is in the country and I won't be able to see her until Friday. But, soon enough, I suppose. I can't wait to show her what this country has been offering me the past 2 months. I think she and Nathan will enjoy. In fact, I will make sure they will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment