Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It was the best of times; it was the opposite of the worst of times.

All day I've been writing reflections for class, and now all I want to do is reflect on the semester. So, here are some pictures of the highlights of my semester-- debriefings of the history of the pictures are included, but for more detail I guess you'll just have to go back and re-read the blogs that the pictures represent.

For your amusement and viewing pleasure, I present SPICE 2012 highlights (up until now and not in chronological order whatsoever):

My first ever bike ride. Unfortunately my skills have not improved that much, and the state of my bike is about as good as my abilities. Currently, my light turns itself on and flashes until I either kick or slap it, and then turns back on until I kick or slap it again.

Our first night out! 

The first of many Joffer nights, but one of the last times we knew for sure that Dutch buddies existed. Where have they gone?

Still in existence here in Amsterdam...

The weekend it was cold enough to go ice skating our host mom took us to her favorite place in Windesheim.  We were almost the first SPICE group to experience the 11 cities skating tour in Friesland!


Our first day trip was to the city of Gouda, where we ate cheese and climbed this windmill.

Afterwards we went to our brother's work to eat pizza, the first of many this semester.

My sister and brother-in-law came to visit.

The dynamic duo at our finest in our humble domain: De Joffer.

My birthday happened to fall on a Tuesday night. What a great night!

Host siblings... plus Snarls.

This night changed my experience in the Netherlands for the best. I love making new friends.

Our first visit to another country was Germany, and this is when I accidentally ordered a giant beer. Lekker!

More pictures from Germany


The cathedral by night

but more importantly, Patrick's reaction to the cathedral at night.

Second visit to another country: Belgium!

The only girls enjoying our waffles-- gotta eat our way across Europe.

This is Sorrento, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

My ego wouldn't let me be anything less than first in the water over Spring Break, AKA the best vacation of my life.


The cheetah girls danced here.


You have to get on a gondola in Venice.



Pizza in the Pizza capital of the world-- Naples.

Elizabeth and Nate and I in front of the church my aunt and uncle got married in

I took them on a tour of Amsterdam

and we toured the Heineken brewery.

A typical afternoon in Groningen for Katrina and I

Switzerland

Hollgrotten Caves

Ireland was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been,

and their nightlife is crazy.

But finding Harry Potter locations throughout London will be hard to top.

Successful semester is an understatement.
All the memories and friends I've made are priceless. Leaving in a month is going to be one of the hardest things I do in my life. Thank goodness I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment